Summer 2015 EmploymentAPTLII is no longer accepting applications for Summer 2015 language instructors. Please check back in November/December when the call for Summer 2016 positions will go out.
Official Title: Resident Assistant
Dates: June 7 - August 9, 2015
Salary: $4,500 plus housing and meals
Description:In coordination with APTLII Coordinator and Arabic/Persian Language Directors, the primary responsibility of the Resident Assistants are to help facilitate Arabic- or Persian-language immersion environments inside and outside the classroom for their respective programs.
Experience and qualifications:Native or near-native fluency in Arabic or Persian (Farsi) language is required. Previous experience with summer youth or adult camps, language immersion programs, undergraduate residence life advising, or student organization leadership is preferred. Applicants must be currently enrolled students at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Support classroom instruction in conjunction with the instructors by providing cultural and linguistic resources.
- Be on-site with language students weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends.
- Prepare, assist with, and implement mini-courses and other extracurricular events.
- Direct and coordinate athletic activities for students.
- Participate in weekly APTLII staff meetings as well as language-specific staff meetings (as scheduled).
- Facilitate communication between APTLII administrative staff and students by, for example, translating weekly activity updates.
- Work with Language Director to establish and monitor tutoring sessions for students.
- Work with Language Director to establish and monitor interactions between students and staff for the duration of the program.
- Continue student interaction in Arabic/Persian through regular attendance a non-classroom activities such as meals, film showings, field trips, and picnics, including evenings and weekends.
- Residence at study site in Madison, WI is required for duration of program.
To apply: Send a detailed cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in the position, current resume/CV, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. Applications accepted until February 27 or until positions are filled.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring. A period of evaluation will be required. UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.